To mesh or not to mesh
Post your questions and get answers regarding all areas of drives, pathways and patios

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
surfdog
Labourer
Labourer

To mesh or not to mesh

by surfdog » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:43 pm

Hi folks, probably a simple question to most but not to me.
I am renovating a barn in France and am ready to lay the concrete floor
but don't know whether I need to reinforce with mesh or not, when is steel needed? The floor area is split level as the barn stands on a slight slope which means I have one area of 12m x 17m then a lower level of 7m x 17m. No load above as the mezzanine is suported by timber frame in floor on its own footings.
I'm planning on 100mm 0-20 hard core/sand/membrane/60mm polystyrene then 100mm or possibly 125mm of concrete. Is steel needed as money is tight so don't want to waste it but I do want to do a proper job. Don't know anything about the fibre method either not even sure if its available in France.
Any help or advice MUCH appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

martblue
Apprentice
Apprentice

by martblue » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:49 pm

No its not neccessary for a floor, thats not taking any structural weight, what you have planned is fine, just one word of advice make sure concrete is not to wet when putting it in or will dry very uneven, keep it as dry as possible..

surfdog
Labourer
Labourer

by surfdog » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:42 am

lovely, thanks for that. Have since found out that I can also get the fibre over here in france so will add that for good measure. Cheers again.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:19 pm