To replace or not to replace the CU - that is the question
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Edpaterson
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Edpaterson » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:57 am

Hi

I live in a Victorian terrace house which as you might expect has had various electrical additions/modifications over the years. The house has four bedrooms, two public rooms, two bathrooms, kitchen and utility room. Everything works and I have had no difficulty with the electrics over the thirty years I have lived in the house. However, currently I have three fuse boxes in total, one for the electric oven in my kitchen, the other two containing three ring mains covering sockets in the house, one fused line for the water heater and two fused lines for the lighting. I had thought of replacing all of this with a new style board with circuit breakers.

I realise this would have to be done by an electrician but my question is 'Would it be worth it?' given that everything works and from the posts on this website people with much newer installations than mine seem to have constant problems with circuits tripping etc.

I would be grateful for any views and/or advice but should add that I live in Scotland where the regulations might be slightly different.

Ed Paterson

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:25 pm

Will forget regulation at this time.
As you say the RCDs don't always behave as one would like, there's a few reasons why! faulty equipment, faulty RCD, too much equipment being protected by single device. Just to name a few.
That being said they are a great device as far as protection from electric shock is concerned.
There is an old addage if it's not broke don't fix it! Nothing wrong with your system as it stands they are as reliable as any of the new stuff, if the system is health and fit for its purpose, i'd keep with it.
KB

Edpaterson
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Edpaterson » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:15 pm

Thanks for the response to my query. It is particularly gratifying that I won't have to spend any money on it - just goes to prove that what they say about Scotsmen is absolutely right.

Cheers

Ed Paterson

Click-Sure
Labourer
Labourer

by Click-Sure » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:24 pm

I'd certainally be inclined to get an electrican in to do a 'Periodic Inspection Report' that will tell you, from a professionals point of view, how good and 'in working order' your fixed electrical installation really is with a list of points noticed and severity codes against them.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:00 pm