All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Daniel 10
Labourer
Labourer

Toilet cistern - leaking valve

Post by Daniel 10 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:34 pm

Hi,

Have a problem within the toilet cistern in as much as once the toilet is flushed and is ready again for use, water is constantly dripping from I think the fill valve?. I must emphasise though that water is not overflowing or leaking out of the toilet. The plumber has been twice and has changed the ball valve. He says that because I am on the fourth floor in a block of flats that it is a general problem with water pressure. Indeed the toilet is served by a water tank -presumably this is low pressure anyway?

Is the fill valve the same as the ball valve?
How do I increase the water pressure within a water tank served system?
How do I get the water from this valve to stop dripping? It is annoying and surely should stop after a while?
Presumably if the water did get to a certain level this valve would stop dripping and / or the overflow pipe would stop a major problem?

Any help from a qualified plumber would be greatly appreciated please

Daniel

Daniel 10
Labourer
Labourer

Toilet cistern

Post by Daniel 10 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:07 am

Hi,

In addition to my post, the level of water within the cistern is only just over half way up anyway and so is quite low - water pressure? As said previously there is no specific leak out on to the floor nor is there a loud noise since the plumber changed the ball valve.

To anyone qualified, am I merely just overreacting to a problem that isn't really there?

Presumably all toilets have water going around the system as how it is being described? Perhaps the toilet wouldn't work if the water level is too low and the drips are topping it up and keeping it operating? If the level did go up - which it hasn't done for years - wouldn't the ball valve and overflow pipes prevent a problem anyway?

Daniel

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:48 pm