Towel radiator needed to be permanently on
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
shaunknowles
Labourer
Labourer

Towel radiator needed to be permanently on

by shaunknowles » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:27 pm

A while ago, we had a Megaflow system installed in the roof space so that we could maximise the space in the bathroom. Now we are expanding into the loft space, the builder has moved and changed the cylinder for a smaller one so that it fits into the roof space.
Before the move, our bathroom radiator was on all the time (unless we closed the valve on the radiator) which was ideal for warming towels without the need to have the central heating switched on. I believe it was controlled by the hot water control (which we had set to permanently on).
Now it has been moved, it only comes on with the central heating or when the hot water has been run for a while (and then it cools). Our plumber says that this is normal as the Megaflow will stop sending the water once the water in the cistern has reached the thermostat temperature. I told him that I wanted the heated towel rail to be on permanently unless I switch it off at the radiator. Apparently, this is not possible unless I have some kind of an electric heated towel rail. Is he right? It worked before, how could it not work now? Is there a way he can connect the bathroom towel rail to the boiler so that it is on all the time?

AdamsHeating
Ganger
Ganger

by AdamsHeating » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:26 pm

hi,

with old boilers / system they never used to have a pump overrun included in them. From what you are saying I would guess that the radiator in the bathroom served this purpose thus staying hot when you called for hot water or central heating.

As the newer system have this overrun facility built in, there is no need for a radiator to do this as the water is circulated internally through the boiler when the call for heat is satisfied, so your plumber is right. You can get an electric element that you stick into the radiator but it depends if your rad is compatible (never installed one, so not 100% sure if all rads can take them), then you have to mess about with getting electricity to it.

All in all, your towel rad will only get warm from now on when the room stat (or whatever you use) calls for heat to heat up all your rads.

AH.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1