Towel Rail installation
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cutiecat
Apprentice
Apprentice

Towel Rail installation

by cutiecat » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:51 pm

I have tried to find this answer on the project pages but can't so I will try here.

I have purchased an electrical heated towel rail for the utility/cloakroom. Does this need to be hard wired or can it be plugged into a socket. The socket is on a RCD but there is also a washing machine and sink within 2m.

Thanks.

singer
Ganger
Ganger

by singer » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:58 pm

Hi cutiecat
To answer your question as long as the socket you refer to is "healthy" i.e. it is correct polarity has a suitable earth reading and is RCD protected its OK to just screw the towel rail to the wall and plug it in.
There are no special requirements for earth bonding in a room such as you describe.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:47 pm

Hi,
as long as no shower or bath in utility room plugging in ok,
regards Sparx

cutiecat
Apprentice
Apprentice

by cutiecat » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:47 am

Thanks Guys you are so helpful.

Only just noticed that the wattage of the towel rail is only 180W. The space is small but is this even going to take the chill off? I wanted to be able to leave it on all the time without costing me a fortune but is this worth it? I want to be able to throw the kids wet things, coats etc on it. Should I send it back and get something better (bought it from ebay :oops: ).

Also says to fill with water but I thought you were meant to put in a better liquid that conducts the heat.

It is times like this I wish I had someone around to help me with things like this. I was trying to save money but time i have sent it back I will be out of pocket. :roll:

ericmark

by ericmark » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:16 pm

Your post is of interest as my daughter was talking about the problem of heating her bath room and we were considering idea of duel fuel towel rail.

I would think there would be a problem if water boiled so can see point of small heater.

But looking at Screwfix two 178W towel rails for £30 but it's £58.71 just for the thermostatic 400W element without the rail and that's where it starts to make sense.

If you want a large output it will need a thermostat to stop it boiling or burning people.

The thermostat type can also be used with plumbed radiators I would expect one sets electric element at lower temp than central heating water but I can't see how you can prevent when pump is running the electric element trying to heat whole of central heating system.

As with you I need to find out more!

cutiecat
Apprentice
Apprentice

by cutiecat » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:28 pm

I have done some BTU calculations and I am sending this one back. Just not going to work. I would rather have a hotter one that I can turn off rather than one that never drys anything.

What a pain. I will lose the postage of £8.99 and however much it costs to send it back.

I didn't sleep last night for worrying about this. How silly is that.

ericmark

by ericmark » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:15 pm

I think my daughter is going to fit the biggest bulbs she can find and hope the heat from the bulbs is enough.

All because my son-in-law will not let her run central heating during the day.

cutiecat
Apprentice
Apprentice

by cutiecat » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:21 pm

I really feel for your daughter. I hate a cold bathroom. If it is a small space then a heated towel rail will keep the chill off. There is nothing so horrible as a cold damp towel when you get out of the shower.

In my opinion she should just whack the heating on.

Good luck to her.

ericmark

by ericmark » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:47 pm

My be not heating she should whack!
But to be far heating is on when taking shower but granddaughter is being toilet trained and does not want to go to lue in cold.
For some reason rest of house holds heat just bathroom seems to cool down quick.
Could be worse my son lives in a tin box floating on water. He calls it a long boat well OK long tin box try heating that!

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:08 pm

Hi we have a small bathroom on cold side of house. we fitted a small oil filled electric radiator with 3 towel rails built in on top, I think Dimplex around 275W, preset inbuilt thermostat, we run it on timer set for 5.30am - 9.00am, & 4.00pm - 9.00pm. keeps towels dry and warms room a treat, it measures 18" (450mm new money) wide.
Before retiling recently, added underfloor heating mat to same circuit, wonderful,
regards SPARX

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:56 pm