training as a electrician at 26
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jonty7
Labourer
Labourer

training as a electrician at 26

by jonty7 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:37 pm

hi, im after a career change and i fancy becoming an elecrician, not sure were to start and what qualifications i would need to obtain???

jonty7

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:35 pm

HI jonty7,
I am at the moment training to be electrician. nearly there?
It depends on your circumstances which way you go about it;
I'd go to your local college and find out what courses they do and which is most suitable to yourself. If your local college don't do electrics they will inform you to nearest one.
I go two evenings a week for 3 hours each evening, but they are day courses available. The course you are looking for is City and Guilldes, level 2, 2330. My first year involved practical and therory. 2nd year all therory but installation exams as well as therory. Third year same as second but more intense.
No qualification really needed to enroll, but get good at maths for a start, the science will come later. oh yes! health and safety too!
You may be a little late to enroll? The courses normally start in September. They are crash course that look so tempting but I can't believe you can not only learn but understand the fundamentals of this science so quickly and be any good.
I hope this information was helpfull and not to off putting, when you get your head into' it is really amazing stuff.
Kind Regards, Good Luck if you make the plunge i'll give you some suggestion of good study books if you wish.
KB

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:49 am