Treadmill in Garage With own Trip Board Knocking Electric out but Does not Reset Trip?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
malraff
Labourer
Labourer

Treadmill in Garage With own Trip Board Knocking Electric out but Does not Reset Trip?

by malraff » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:59 pm

hi
i have a treadmill in the garage, which has its own trip board,
the thread mill runs fine when flat and going at reasonable speed. But as soon as i raise the incline it kills the power in the garage, treadmill switches off and the light goes out. (only 2 things on the board using electric) but it does not actually reset the trip? eg i dont have to switch trip back on.

i have checked the belts and there is nothing obstructing or causing un natural resistance

i am guessing its pulling more current than the board can supply?
any ideas?

thanks

mal

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Treadmill in Garage With own Trip Board Knocking Electric out but Does not Reset Trip?

by ericmark » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:48 pm

I have no circuit diagrams for any tread mill so have nothing to go on. However I know with my exercise bike the mains power was only really to run the electronics. I would guess with a tread mill some power is used to move the running track but sitting on a bike in Sizewell power station visitors centre all my effort was required to light a 60W bulb. So with losses we are likely talking about no more than 100W so it should run easy with a 1 amp fuse.

I would guess it will have a rating plate to say how much it uses. But I would suspect some fault in the wiring rather than fault on tread mill.

I have seen many times where some one thinks as a light switch they have line and neutral rather than permanent line and switched line and have as a result wired an outside light in series instead of parallel.

Easy first step is does the tread mill work OK off another supply? Second when it fails does something start working in the house with series wiring often some lights will come on dim in the house.

malraff
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Treadmill in Garage With own Trip Board Knocking Electric out but Does not Reset Trip?

by malraff » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:22 am

thanks for reply eric mac

i think i actually got it solved last night after lots of searching on the web, with a really simple solution - use a surge protector between the treadmill and the mains!

supposedly treadmills can create an arching signal due to the type of motor it uses - and the surge protector masks this!

tried it last night and no power cuts for the 5 mins the treadmill was on!

mal

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:02 pm