Treads and risers problem after botched building job
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

terrygordon
Labourer
Labourer

Treads and risers problem after botched building job

by terrygordon » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:04 am

Hi

I recently had a job done where the builder installed 18mm window board treads and laminated chipboard risers over the top of the existing treads and risers on my stairs and has glued and screwed the treads in place and glued the risers. Unfortunately, it is a completely botched job (with filler that I can't stain over and all the treads in two parts with filled joins).

I now want to install either laminated floor treads (with tongue and groove bullnoses) or oak veneered treads and risers, but I don't want to have to rip out the previously screwed and glued treads and risers, which, although unsightly, are structurally solid and would be a pain to remove.

My question is: Can I glue the new treads and risers on top of the already installed window board and chipboard? This would effectively mean three layers - the original wooden stairs, the treads and risers that the builder installed and my new ones on top of these. There are stringers on both sides, with just about enough space for the new treads.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Terry

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:24 pm