Treating joists
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Did it myself
Tradesman
Tradesman

Treating joists

by Did it myself » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:03 am

Hi,

We were notified through a survey that the joists (under the floorboards) are touching the external wall of the house. Although it was not conditional of the purchase, the corrective action would be to "shorten and wrap the ends of the joists".

We already have a damp proof course in the external wall and when querying this with a joiner friend, their opinion was that if there are no damp problems now, then why spend £800 undertaking the work.

Anyone have any experience of this or have an opinion on what we should do? as it stands I'm leaning towards leaving it alone.

Thanks.

no1son
Apprentice
Apprentice

by no1son » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:06 pm

There is actually a surveyor checking joists under the floor boards,what is this world coming to,Iwonder if they will start refunding the VAT.Unless they request it be done and there is no problems then leave well alone.If you are unsure treat the joists with a timber preservative.

Did it myself
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Did it myself » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:36 am

I know, pretty keen aren't they! But to be honest we bought the house privately so we paid for quite a thorough survey (as the vendor didn't have to provide a HIP). Thanks for the advice on treating the joists myself. I just wanted to see what people thought, as I'm so tempted just to ignore this until it becomes a problem. (Just too tired with all the work and want to get the family home!).

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:48 am

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:32 am