Tri Iso Multipfoil in loft between rafters (T intersection)
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

catgordon1
Labourer
Labourer

Tri Iso Multipfoil in loft between rafters (T intersection)

by catgordon1 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:05 pm

I have a 1900 house with clay tiles and deteriorating roof felt.

The loft was converted to a bedroom and now only a small loft cupboad remains at the front of the house. Despite building regs certificates being provided when we bought the ouse the builders did a shody job and the top floor is freezing.

My roofer, who recently fixed the valleys after heavy rainfall, mentioned that I could consider retrofitting using a multifoil such as Tri Iso Super 10.

I have purchased some Tri Iso and am intending to install using staple gun to rafters then aluminum foil tape to seal overlaps. I might xonder further battens and plasterboard depening on how the first stage works out but my 2 questions are:

1. I have a T intersection roof with a triangular brick section at front of loft space. Should I be using multifoil to cover this vertical brickwork, or only use it between rafters on the sloping parts of the roof?

2. The loft space is a fiddly cobination of lots of triangular sections linked by valleys - should I be cutting my multifoil into the minimum number of pieces to avoid air leakage, OR can I maximise the expensive 10m2 rolls I have by using lots of smaller triangular and square pieces and relying on the overlap and tape to make it all airtight?

Do I cut the pieces then fit or apply the roll and cut in situ?

Any advice gratefully received!

It is currently Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:08 am