Trip switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Tommo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Trip switch

by Tommo » Tue May 12, 2009 8:45 pm

I am having a shower/steam cabinet fitted and have been advised that I need to replace the 5 amp trip switch for a 20 amp trip switch, and that I need to buy the same make. The problem is that all the switches are 21 years old now. Where can I buy a Wylex NB05 20 amp type 2 switch :?

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed May 13, 2009 11:44 am

It's special location part p applies get a sparky in to do job, needs to comply to BS7671:2008 and needs 30mA RCD protection as well as a breaker.
Sounds like 5amps was protecting a cable size smaller than the one needed for shower cab. as you quoted 20 amp so you may need to replace cable anyway.
As you are puting a new fuse in regardless of the cable size it will be deemed a new circuit and will require inspection and test schedules and certs.
Be safe get a qualified electrician in and he should sort all your problems out!
KB

Tommo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Shower /Steam cabinet

by Tommo » Wed May 13, 2009 7:57 pm

The shower fitter has run all new cable from the shower to the power board, and has now fitted a new 20 amp trip switch. Had my first shower today, and everything works ok, except when the steam is turned on, it then trips the switch every time. Does it need a higher rated switch? If so how high should it be?

steve the plumber
Ganger
Ganger

by steve the plumber » Wed May 13, 2009 9:52 pm

It might be worth your while replacing the unit so it's more upto date especially if you have to install a new circuit anyway.

bd3cc
Foreman
Foreman

by bd3cc » Wed May 13, 2009 10:15 pm

kb is correct,
Bathrooms are a special location and work must be carried out by a qualified electrician, or inspected by BC agents.
As you are having the shower fitted I assume that this is the case.
Dont understand what shower you are having fitted:
electric would be 32A min, and shower pump would be 6A max. Please explain exactly what you are having fitted.
Either way I would go the RCBO route, with a Wylex unit, probably available from any wholesaler, who stocks Wxlex.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu May 14, 2009 1:05 pm

If your plumber has fitted this equipement they should have fitted the correct size protective device that was suitable for your installation. You need to be talking to them.
I would also ask them if they are define scoop and qualified to carry out the work, have they supplied certs and schedules?
KB

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:07 pm