tripping timer
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tazz1234
Labourer
Labourer

tripping timer

Post by tazz1234 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:07 pm

every time I put a normal timer (for security lights when i go away for a few days) in one of my wall sockets, when I come home the switch for all wall sockets has tripped off, so stuff in my freezer has defrosted and clocks have gone off etc. The time is always stopped on the timer i set for the lights to come off. can anybody help.

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:00 pm

Most likely is fault on the lights. What happens when plugged directly in? Other possibility is bouncing contacts on the timer the spikes caused can upset the electronics on the RCD and cause it to trip. While other items are used, current spikes can sometimes be reduced by other equipment, So stopping them from tripping the main RCD. Using electronic clocks can sometimes help as they tend to be faster operating so less likely to upset the RCD. Cure is not to have freezer on same RCD as other equipment there are a few ways you may be able to do this. One is plug into cooker supply either for lights or freezer as often cooker is not RCD protected. If it is RCD protected then you would need to consider getting it put on it’s own RCD. The new regulations which come into force in July do require multi RCD protection but under the old system it was not required. Supplying either lights or freezer from an uninterruptible supply may help I would suggest you put lights on UPS as then the spikes can not get back to RCD and you can use it for computer when not on holiday. Another cure is of course get security lights set up of the lighting circuit or simple way is do away with security lights they just make it so people don't look when they see lights switch on or off so thief can use lights without drawing attention to themselves.

All best Eric

tazz1234
Labourer
Labourer

tripping timer

Post by tazz1234 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:32 pm

THANKS VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:09 pm