Triton Biarritz II -No Water Flow - Red Power Indicator Dim
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rashidsiddiqui
Labourer
Labourer

Triton Biarritz II -No Water Flow - Red Power Indicator Dim

Post by rashidsiddiqui » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:04 pm

This is an existing installation; been working fine for atleast 2.5 yrs i have lived in the property. Was working fine until this morning. After using the shower for 15 mins or so, switched it off(standby and then switched-off using the power switch with the pull down string in the bathroom); then back on in about 10-15 mins; the power indicator on the shower panel was dimly lit; when i turned the top knob clockwise to cold water position i get a click sound and no cold water flow happens and also the dimly lit power indicator goes off. This happens for single and double hot water positions as well; the power indicator comes on (dimly -lit) once back to the stand by (flow - off) position. Not sure what might by causing this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot folks

UPDATE::

Last night; i tested the pull cord switch.

1) With power ON (pull cord switch); Neon on Shower unit dimly lit.
2) Turn top knob clockwise 90 degs to allow cold water flow - dimly lit neon on shower unit switches off with a small click noise at the same time. Neon on pull cord switch fully lit.
3 ) Same happens for a further 90 degree clockwise increments of the top knob.
4) When the knob reaches back to default/standby position, a low click noise comes and neon indicator is dimly lit again.

I then went on to open the pull cord switch(in OFF state) with no power feeding in from the consumer unit. Switched the power on at the consumer unit leaving the cord switch in OFF position. Using a tester; RED wire on the LOAD side (45A DP switch) showed up as LIVE with tester NEON lighting up. RED WIRE on the other side had no current. The two black wires were not live either.

SWITCHED ON the cord switch - This cause the RED WIRE on the other side to light up on the tester as well. This time BLACK WIRE on the OTHER side was showing as slightly dimly lit (well visible) neon on the tester.

Is the BLACK WIRE lighting up on the tester NEON normal ???

There is no physical evidence of heating/damage and all the wires wer securely connected (no loose connections).

Kindly suggest the way forward. I am cash strapped as can do with fixing this the optimum way possible.

Many thanks

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:39 pm

Hi Rashid,
I really must urge extreme caution in what you are doing as it's very easy to forget when turning on/off for live testing what state power is in & as in a wet environment potentially dangerous.
From what you say it would appear your pull switch is wired wrong way round ie line/load terminals swopped, no safety issue but if so light will stay on with switch off!
Your fault seems to indicate a poor Neutral connection under load which could be the switch contacts, or a loose cable connection which if not in shower or switch could be in consumer unit, also my own well known dislike of neon test screwdrivers comes to the fore now be careful!!!
regards SPARX

singer
Ganger
Ganger

Post by singer » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:45 pm

Hi rashidsiddiqui,

It sounds like you've lost a neutral possibly across the switch but without testing properly its hard to tell.
My advice would be to throw your neon tester away or use it as a terminal screwdriver as for fault finding they are useless and cant be used to verify safe isolation.
You need to check whether you have got live AND neutral at the incoming terminals of the shower with a set of approved testlamps, which must first be tested on a known live source to verify they are working correctly.
I seem to remember the Bairitz II being full of printed circuit boards so if you've got a supply could be any one of a number of things after that!!
If you've got a live and neutral at the incomer to the switch but only a live at the shower, fit a new switch and should then work but do everything safely and confirm isolation before proceeding.
If you have a supply at the shower report back.

rashidsiddiqui
Labourer
Labourer

Post by rashidsiddiqui » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:48 pm

Sparx, thanks a lot for a quick reply. I understand what you saying and excercise extreme care when doing anything to do with electricity. In my original post (UPDATE section); i mentioned that putting the tester on the black wire terminal shows the neon indicator on the tester when pull cord switch in ON state(mechanical ON/OFF indicator); is this normal or does it point to a contact issue in the pull cord switch. None of the wires including the earth was loose. Kindly suggest. The existing pull cord is MK 45A DP. Priced at about 11-12 £ at Wickes; just want to check if it would be worth replacing the switch to see if it works. Kindly suggest. Also; what sort of tester would you recommend; i appreciate screwdriver tester is pretty basic. Cheers Rashid

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:30 pm

Hi again Rashid,
you should not get a light from either side of switch Neutrals (blacks), if one side brighter than other with shower turned on change switch!
As I and others have said single contact testers are not reliable, we use multi neon/led types as made by martindale etc, My model costs around £30 +tax but a basic model is available for under £5 from various sources
look up qvsdirect.com code HT 457014 for a look,
regards Sparx

rashidsiddiqui
Labourer
Labourer

Post by rashidsiddiqui » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:20 am

Many Thanks Sparx. I am going to invest in a decent tester. I have a multimeter as well. I am going to install the switch today; hopefully some hot water from the shower later in the day. Will keep you posted. Many thanks for all your help.

rashidsiddiqui
Labourer
Labourer

Post by rashidsiddiqui » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:10 pm

Many Thanks Sparx, this is now fixed. It was the pull cord switch. Happy Days "!! thanx again - Rashid

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:24 pm

Hi Rashid,
glad its sorted & thankyou for bothering to let us know, many times we never hear & its a bit frustrating not knowing,
regards SPARX

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:09 pm