TRV's

Postby Britannia » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:46 pm

I am currently training as a plumber and am unsure if the TRV should be fitted to the flow side of a radiator or the return.
Britannia
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby plumbbob » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:40 pm

If you read the text book, it tells you to always fit the TRV in the flow side the same as the on/off valve it replaces. Indeed if older TRV's are installed in the return side, because they were directional, they may make a loud noise. Newer valves needed to be mechanically "set" for flow direction before installation. Now as far as I know, all new TRV's can be fitted in either flow or return without adjustment.

I personally prefer to fit them on the end of the rad that is the most open to the room regardless of flow direction. My colleague meanwhile, for neatness, prefers to always install them on the right hand side of the rad.
plumbbob

Postby Steve the gas » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:34 am

Hi,

If the TRV is Bi-directional then either end - flow or return,but, if not the flow,

Hth
Steve the gas
Progress to next rank:
56%

Postby sparx » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:00 pm

Hi,
I understood from my controls course that either will be ok but if fitted on flow side should be installed horizontally, if on return vertically, as higher temp on flow will cause valve to cut off early if sensor too near rad.
A mere leckie (who does boiler controls as a major part of my work) so I will bow to those with more up to date knowledge,
Regards SPARX
sparx

Postby htg engineer » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:37 am

The majority of them can be fitted to either the flow or return. If in doubt check the manufacturers instructions.

As with Plumbob - I also fit the TRV to the end i think would be best for example to allow for easy access.

Htg
htg engineer

Postby Britannia » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:56 am

Thanks guys for your help
Britannia
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!