Trying to Make an MDF frame...please help!
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
darrenwooly
Labourer
Labourer

Trying to Make an MDF frame...please help!

Post by darrenwooly » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:15 pm

Anyone help,

Im trying to make simple square frames from MDF, the MDF frame is 24 x 20 inches and the MDF is 1 inch thick, square.

Im doing a butt joint and not mitring the corners.

I pre-drill the holes, but when I put the screws in it splits right down the middle...

am I doing it wrong? are there any types of screws or drills I should use? I just bobbed to B&Q today and purchased a Makita drill and a 4mm drill bit.

any help would be appreciated!!

Dan the man
Ganger
Ganger

Post by Dan the man » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:56 pm

MDF is murder to drill into through the side, I made something out of mdf last year and I had to glue and pin a strip of real timber to the edges and screw into it through the timber because it would just split, maybe you should try that, quarter inch timber.:)

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:52 pm

unfortunately a common problem when drilling into the edge of MDF.

try a larger pilot hole and tightly clamp a couple of scrap pieces of MDF top and bottom of the piece that you are screwing into - this may help prevent it splitting.

dannypthechippy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Trying to Make an MDF frame...please help!

Post by dannypthechippy » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:30 pm

darrenwooly wrote:Anyone help,

Im trying to make simple square frames from MDF, the MDF frame is 24 x 20 inches and the MDF is 1 inch thick, square.

Im doing a butt joint and not mitring the corners.

I pre-drill the holes, but when I put the screws in it splits right down the middle...

am I doing it wrong? are there any types of screws or drills I should use? I just bobbed to B&Q today and purchased a Makita drill and a 4mm drill bit.

any help would be appreciated!!

clamp tight the side of the screw holes b4 screwing

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

Post by TheDoctor4 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:05 pm

Discover how easy it is to find vetted and insured tradesman local to your area with the help of DIY Doctor. Visit our Find a Tradesman area: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:56 am