Turning Router into switch
Help and advice on software, hardware, configuration and general computing issues and problems

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ericmark

Turning Router into switch

Post by ericmark » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:19 pm

Can anyone help me with home routers? I had a Netgear router which talktalk seemed to think was the problem for my broad band dropping out. And they very kindly sent me FOC one of their wireless routers and touch wood seems to have worked.

I use my laptop on my main TV to watch programs off internet as when BBC did catch up for bone kickers but it is right on the edge of range for my router. Good in a way no need to use any security but would be nice to improve.

The old router I am sure can be configured as a switch but my attempt failed I changed the access from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.10 hoping it would then work OK with real router on 192.168.1.1 but then could no longer access it and had to do a hardware reset to get into it again.

It has been some years since I studied for CCNA and I was never any good I understand basics but when it comes to reconfiguring as switch I am lost.

I have considered using an extra NIC card in my main PC but using a PC as a server is also a bit beyond me so any help please. Or is only way to hard wire?

Eric

airwot4
Labourer
Labourer

Post by airwot4 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:19 pm

If your router is acting as a router then it will have two IPs (routers bridge networks). One which will probably be configured to use DHCP and the other which you set manually; public and private, respectively. The public IP will be on the same subnet as your talktalk router (192.168.1.x), the private will be on a new network. You were setting the private IP and getting the router confused as it had the same subnet both sides.

I'm not sure off the top of my head how to configure a Netgear router as a switch but I think you can turn it into an "Access Point" or something.

Theoretically you could create another subnet as things stand, so everything connecting to your Netgear should be 192.168.2.x and your talktalk router subnet stays as 192.168.1.x. The Netgear router should pickup a 192.168.1.x address as it's public IP via DHCP from the talktalk router.

Also - always secure your wireless!

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:52 am

Thanks that makes some sense and I will have another go.
Eric

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:53 am