tv aerial question
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
peterhiggs
Labourer
Labourer

tv aerial question

Post by peterhiggs » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:40 pm

i am recieving freeview in my house downstairs through my outside aerial.a few years ago i had cable installed upstairs with the outside aerial connected into both rooms upstairs.i went to fix a freeview box in my spare room upstairs and when i put the aerial into the back of my freeview box,it came up with no signal.my question is this,how can i get my aerials upstairs to recieve a signal from my outside aerial,when it works downstairs and not upstairs .thanks

thedoctor

Post by thedoctor » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:10 am

Sounds like a bad connection from the ariel to the upstairs point or a break in the wire between the two Peter. Check it out.

peterhiggs
Labourer
Labourer

Post by peterhiggs » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:50 am

daft question but how do i check it out,i notice downstairs that the two extra connections for my upstairs come in from downstairs and they seem okay.thanks for your help

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:31 pm

Hi PH,
I would ask have you used upstairs aerial at all?
I would not expect one antenna to be able to power several sets, with or without digi boxes, if as i think you are saying one in put & two out put coaxes are at downstairs point then you need a booster/splitter unit with one input & 3 out put sockets so antenna in then out to local box plus out to each other pointhope thats what you mean,
regards SPARX

peterhiggs
Labourer
Labourer

Post by peterhiggs » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:31 am

i thought i might need a splitter,thanks.where can i get these splitters from,like you said,i have two aerials upstairs which arent recieving a signal,whilst the one downstairs is recieving a signal because my freeview box is working okay downstairs but not upstairs,thanks again

DONFRAMAC
Ganger
Ganger

Post by DONFRAMAC » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:36 am

My Freeview aerial is only just able to perform OK on one set, and that is with the assistance of a mast-head amplifier, which is fed 12V dc from a box behind the TV. this box also receives the boosted signal and removes the dc, so the output from the box is suitable for the TV. This, I would expect, would give a suitably boosted signal to feed a multi-socket splitter.
I got my local TV dealership to do the work ( £90 all-in, for booster and fitting, inc vat. ---- 12 db booster, mains powered.)

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:11 pm