Twist the ends together, or not?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Kiter
Labourer
Labourer

Twist the ends together, or not?

by Kiter » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:50 pm

When inserting two or more wire ends into a screw terminal fitting - such as those in a main socket or junction box - is it considered better to twist them together, or not?

I've read that twisting gives a more secure electrical connection, and lessens the chances of one of the condutors being insecurely gripped by the screw.

On the other hand some people say that twisting weakens the wires, makes the connection bulky, and makes it hard to take apart to service.

Which view is considered correct?

-- Steve

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:15 pm

Hi.
Both have merit but personally I twist multi-stranded conductors but not single standed,
regards SPARX

ericmark

by ericmark » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:38 pm

I twist and my son does not. I consider twisting of multi-core as Sparx and also earth wires where the share a sleeve. But my son says when doing inspection and testing any twisted cables have to be undone to test and so having more stress than just the single twist and I will admit he has done a lot more domestic and inspection and testing than me.
In industrial electrics it is normal to consider there should be a hole for every wire and so with most of my life being industrial I suppose I should copy my son and stop twisting wires but a little old in the few teeth left to change my ways now.
Eric

Kiter
Labourer
Labourer

by Kiter » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:48 pm

Thanks for the replies. Sound like there's no hard and fast rule and it's down to individual preference. Modern fittings seem to grip wires very well without twisting, so that's probably the way forward for the reasons you stated.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:07 am