type of boiler

Postby labgorilla » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:42 am

I have just moved into a property which has no gas at all. The boiler I think is an immersion boiler with a two heating elements, one at the bottom of the boiler and another at the top.
These elements seem to be manually controlled. By this I mean that a switch at the wall turns them on and you can hear the elements heating up.
My question is:
The bottom element does not seem to be working and yet I can get hot water using the top one alone. Can I leave the boiler as it is?
Also, should I manually switch off the top heating element at night or periodically?
labgorilla
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby muttley » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:16 pm

i would suggest that you bottom heater may be connected to economy 7and your top heater would be as a booster during the day.The idea behind this is to give 7 hours during the night at a cheaper rate and top up as you need it during the day.you will probably find a timed mechanism to the bottom heater.It may pay you to get an electrician to check it out.good luck
muttley
Progress to next rank:
96.2%

Postby labgorilla » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:16 pm

Thanks Muttley.
Unfortunately the bottom element does not have a timer attached to it. But I am getting in contact with an electrician in order to get one fitted otherwise my bills will be enormous.
labgorilla
Progress to next rank:
25%

Postby marrtin » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:38 pm

Think you may find the bottom element has a separate supply from the meter and doesn't need a dedicated timer as such. My guess is you will have a second fuseboard next to the meter which controls all the Economy 7 devices such as your immersion and other storage heaters.
marrtin
Progress to next rank:
58%

Postby DONFRAMAC » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:39 am

When I had this type of E7 heating, the lower element had a remotely located timer in the kitchen, near the cooker. It used a synchronous motor-driven timer, plus an on/off switch. I did not fit the top element, so I used a version of the timer which allowed a 2-hour clock-work direct boost, but that is slow to deliver, unless your tank is the special one with a shroud around the element, and a delivery pipe leading to the top region of the tank.
In those days E7 had 2 meters, and the whole house went onto cheap-rate during the night boost.
TOTAL_HEAT/TOTAL CONTROL is more common now, and has one meter, a feature-fire allowed for summer use, and extra power boosts in winter, mid-afternoon if needed, controlled by a signal sent up the power-line to the special dual meter.
No option to do all your laundry thro' the night on this tariff, on the cheap, and get up early to do your ironing.
DONFRAMAC
Progress to next rank:
96.7%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!