type of home heating oil
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
macker
Apprentice
Apprentice

type of home heating oil

by macker » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:45 pm

When I order oil my supplier always asks me what type I want, kerosene or ordinary home heating oil. I never know which, so I just tell them to deliver the same as last time, which is ordinary home heating oil. Is kerosene just more expensive, or can my system not use it?

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:04 pm

If your system currently runs quite happily on ordinary heating oil theres a fair chance that it wants ordinary heating oil. I mean I wouldn't put unleaded in my van just because its cheaper per litre than diesel.

Cheers

macker
Apprentice
Apprentice

by macker » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:07 am

I see your point and agree totally, if it ain't broke don't fix it. But can my system run on kerosene, i.e. if there was only kerosene available, would I have to get a new system?

mikimac
Labourer
Labourer

by mikimac » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:00 pm

There are 6 classes of fuel used in the UK ranging from light distillate fuel such as paraffin (BS 2869 Class C1) which is normally used in flueless domestic heaters with wick burners to Heavy Fuel Oil (BS 2869 Class G) which is normally used in the Industrial sector. The common oil used in the residential sector is Kerosene (BS 2869 Class C2).

If you look in the servicing instructions to your boiler the fuel type specified may well be listed as 28 sec Kerosene (Class C2). Using too light or too heavy fuel could cause the incorrect burner nozzle spray resulting in damage to the appliance.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:59 pm

Generally the two types of oil used in probably most heating are 28 sec and 35 sec. The second scale is Redwood No 1 and refers to the speed in which the oil if poured will spread over a given area.

28 sec which is most common for domestic use is also referred to as "Kerosene" or "burning oil".

35 sec is more often used in large domestic or commercial heaters and is also called "gas oil". This oil has the same specification as vehicle diesel, so is also used to power farm vehicles and boats. To differentiate between this fuel and the one used in your motor which includes an extra contribution to Mr Brown's pocket, a special additive is well, added. Hence its other name - "Red diesel".

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1