Typical wall construction
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
seabass81
Labourer
Labourer

Typical wall construction

by seabass81 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:22 pm

I live in a house built on an English estate in the early 1980s. The outside walls are brick and indoors, there appears to be plaster covered in wallpaper. (I say appears because the wallpaper covers every surface and I haven't been brave enough to look underneath to discover what the wallpaper is covering because of our damp problem).

I am from Canada and I am not familiar with the usual construction of buildings here in Britain. In Canada, we have largely timber-framed homes built with excellent fibre glass insulation.

I have heard that there are about four types of wall construction in the UK - and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what I likely have before I look at redecorating? It's a 1980s terraced house, in a corner and there are bricks on the outside and timber-framed windows.

I'm wondering because I want to remove the wallpaper and paint it but if I'm likely to have a continuing damp problem, I wonder if more insulation would help and therefore what kind of insulation I might need?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:29 pm

seabass81,
From the age of your home and that it is on an estate the most likely construction is aerated concrete blocks forming an inner wall with plaster board stuck onto the wall (dry lining).
If you are lucky the plasterboard will have had a light skim of plaster applied to the surface so you can remove the wallpaper.
Again it is most likely that only the joins in the plasterboard have been skimmed and the wallpaper has been applied direct to the plasterboard paper surface. If this is the case you will find it almost impossible to remove the wallpaper and papering over the top of the existing paper will be the best option.
end

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:06 pm

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:40 pm