I'm a roofer in US, and i'm working on adding metric system to our roof calculator app. I did some research already, but I need to get some exact info, to do this properly.
All questions below assume installation of Asphalt / Bitumen shingles.
So here is what I'm looking for:
1) What is your pricing UNIT - 1 m^2 or 10m^2 (In US we use "squares" which is 100 f^2 or 10x10ft area) Example - when you price a job - which is say 150m^2 - do you calculate it price/m * number of meters or how?
2) In which quantities do you buy shingles? - I see on some roofing supplier websites (roofing super store for example) price per "bundle" or pack of shingles which is I believe 3 m^2
In US, contractors buy materials in squares (which is typically 3 packs).
3) Plywood / OSB - what is the typical size and thickness? I found 1.2m x 2.4m AND 1.22m x 2.44m - so which one is more common?
Also what is the minimum thickness used in roofing and typical thicknesses?
What do you use in UK? please provide name or type and dimensions
5) Trim - I found that typical drip edge trim is 3m long (equivalent of US 10 ft) - is this correct? Do you use it only on eaves or all along roof perimeter? What is a typical price for a 3m drip edge trim?
6) Roof Pitch / Slope: I assume from the info I found, that you use degrees. But I've also seen ratios. How do you measure roof slope (industry "standard")?
DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!