Accounts and book-keeping for builders plus mortgage and remortgage information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bhallett
Labourer
Labourer

Underfloor heating construction

by bhallett » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:12 pm

Hello All,

I want to retro install water ufh but i do not want to install it in the traditional way. The method of construction i want to use is this.

- Cut, in the original concrete floor a grove about 40mm wide by 15mm deep,

- Lay 10mm marmox insulation board down,

- cut the marmox insulation bourd out where i had perviously cut out a gorve in the concrete,

- lay pipe insulation in this groove which has been cut to expose where pipe would normally be placed,

- place 16mm ufh pipe into the pipe insulation where it has been cut and every x mm use a alumunium heat speader.

- Lastly cover the floor with tiles.

Can anyone see a problem with this type of construction?

Thanks in advance,

Barry

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

Underfloor heating construction

by Perry525 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:30 pm

Your proposal will involve at lot of mess, a lot of hard work and I am not sure what you will gain?
Before you start, think of under floor heating more in terms of back ground heating.
If you use UFH as your main source of heat, then you will find it hard to control.
These large concrete blocks take ages to heat up!
More importantly they are slow to respond to rises in temperature.
You may end up having to open your windows to let the heat out, when the sun shines.
This being heat you will have to pay for!
Think of light weight UFH, which will respond much more quickly.

greenjonpi
Labourer
Labourer

by greenjonpi » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:46 pm

I undertook a similiar project for a customer except we put in electric cable, not a pipe. the reason we did like that is that the customer didnt want to raise the floor. It was extremly dusy and very hard work, it took two day for two people but we did it and was able to put the carpet back over once the quick drying screed had gone off, customer was extremly chuffed and he said it works very well.

jonpi

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:24 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:17 pm