Underfloor heating loses all power
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
joboanna
Labourer
Labourer

Underfloor heating loses all power

by joboanna » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:22 pm

Hi, we have had underfloor heating (electric) in our kitchen for 18 months now. It was fitted by the builder (who has been brilliant) and all the electrics were done by a sub - contractor with a great reputation and all has been part p sigend off. The problem is that every 2-3 months for no apparent reason it just goes. The switch seems to burn out and then we lose power to the thermostat. The electrician has been back about 6 times all free of charge and he cannot diagnose a problem, he has re- checked the calculations he did, he has even changed switches to see if there is a problem with those - nothing works. Has anyone had a similar problem? We are a bit lost really and don't know what patch to take next. Can anyone help? :? :?

ericmark

by ericmark » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:59 pm

Yes my mother had it fitted in a wet room. Thermostat failed and we in the end fitted a timer instead. It is only to dry floor after having a shower and she showers same time every day main heating is from towel rail so that works OK for her. And we did use the special thermostat too as normal central heating ones will not take that power. Can't remember make off hand but came from tile shop, but this was second one as builder messed up the first one completely different make but same thermostat. The thermostat had two modes a sensor buried in floor or in the thermostat its self, first went wrong with sensor buried in floor so second we used built in option. Then went to timer. If you find out what is the problem I would love to know.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:28 pm

Hi we have under floor tiles heating I fitted about 5years ago, capiliary tube 'stat buried in floor, fed from 3A fused connection unit which is on a timer circuit which also does towel rails in bathroom & ensuite bedroom, no probs at all, loading is usually quite low only a few watts/sq. mtr. so would not expect probs from overloading of switch/stat. maybe loose connections but if changed already should have ruled that out.
Ask your leckie to put a clamp meter on feed cable at switch/'stat to see what load is being drawn, presume no earth leakage faults or would trip RCD, (it is on an RCD isn't it!). A megger check will show any faults to earth as well, wish I was local, would love to investigate this, supose not in S.Kent by chance?,
regards SPARX

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:51 pm