underfloor heating - part p required?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

underfloor heating - part p required?

by chris_on_tour2002 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:56 pm

i want to fit underfloor heating in my toilet. the toilet is the only plumbing in the room, no sink, or bath etc.

our consumer unit has an RCD on the circuit that i shall be tapping into - running from the upstairs sockets. do i need part p for this? i know that underfloor heating must have an RCD but as there is already one on the system i won't need to fit.

also, instructions say to run as a spur, is there any reason why it should be done as a spur as opposed to bringing it into the ring?

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:33 pm

Hi Chris, I think you may be confusing a 'spur' with a 'radial'.
when they say a spur I think you will find it means a Fused spur fed from the ring circuit as a 'tee' usually from a local socket. This counts as a 'minor works' job not in a special location so not part-p.
The worst job you will have is finding a suitable location for the thermostat/timeswitch to control floor mat, & from experience when you run the probe wire from 'stat keep it away from the area in front of the pan. Why? coz if you sit on the bog too long the heat from yer feet will switch off the 'stat! just when ya need it most.
regards SPARX

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:11 pm

thanks sparx - i am going to tee from the ring. and thanks for the advice about the location of the thermostat... maybe have to remove the reading material from the toilet so i dont stay in there too long!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:16 am