All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mossy810
Labourer
Labourer

Underfloor pipes

by mossy810 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:17 pm

Hello All,

I am in the process of fitting out a wet room. Just going to start the plumbing for the basin hot and cold water.

There is bit of an awkward pipe run that i need to do. Before the floor goes down completely, what's the best way to sort this?

I need to bear in mind that it will be pretty impossible to get the floor up again if there is a leak. I will be tanking the floor, then installing underfloor heating, then tiling.

Shall I use copper or the JG Speedfit pipes? I can provide photos if need be.

So to sum up if that doesn't make sense......

I have a section of piping that will be under floorboards, then tile backer board, with my waterproofing, then underfloor heating, and then my tiles on top.

So, it will be very difficult, (or impossible), to get to the piping should anything leak.

The pipe run that is to be under the floor will only really be about 1.5m roughly.

Many Thanks.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:35 pm

Only use copper pipe with soldered fittings if access is going to be difficult in the future. The only time I would ever consider using plastic is if there are no joints under the floor and copper could not be used.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:27 am

and keep the number of joints to a minimum - soldered joints, if done properly, will be fine and will last years without leaking but it stands to reason that the fewer joints you have the fewer potential failure points you have. consider using a pipe bender where possible instead of soldered elbows etc and plan the route of your pipework to try to accommodate this.

as has already been said, stay well away from plastic and definitely stay away from pushfit for any buried/inaccessible pipework.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:59 am