Unidentified Cable in Wall Found While Drilling
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
andy-uk89
Labourer
Labourer

Unidentified Cable in Wall Found While Drilling

by andy-uk89 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:24 pm

Hi,

I am installing a cat flap into brickwork at my father's house, and while I was drilling, came across a metal strip. I am wondering if anyone can identify what this is and if it is safe for me to carry on, as it is uninsulated I think it is either to do with earthing or heat insulation.
It has a slightly coppery colour to it, but this may just be from brick dust. Looks to be about 4mm wide and 1-2mm thick.

(The stud detector missed it before drilling but can clearly see it now!)

Any information or guidance for the next place I should look is much appreciated, much more than kitty's appreciation for me trying to let him in and out without a possible 240v through him.

Thanks!
- Andy.
Attachments
Compressed.jpg

Skid Sprocket
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: Unidentified Cable in Wall Found While Drilling

by Skid Sprocket » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:25 pm

andy-uk89 wrote:Hi,

I am installing a cat flap into brickwork at my father's house, and while I was drilling, came across a metal strip. I am wondering if anyone can identify what this is and if it is safe for me to carry on, as it is uninsulated I think it is either to do with earthing or heat insulation.
It has a slightly coppery colour to it, but this may just be from brick dust. Looks to be about 4mm wide and 1-2mm thick.

(The stud detector missed it before drilling but can clearly see it now!)

Any information or guidance for the next place I should look is much appreciated, much more than kitty's appreciation for me trying to let him in and out without a possible 240v through him.

Thanks!
- Andy.

Could it possibly be a wall tie?

andy-uk89
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Unidentified Cable in Wall Found While Drilling

by andy-uk89 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:37 pm

Aha!

Yes, looks like it.
I'm happy I haven't made anything electrically unsafe so will get something to reinforce around the wall.

Many thanks,
- Andy.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:17 pm