Up dating a consumer unit
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tsb
Tradesman
Tradesman

Up dating a consumer unit

by tsb » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:14 pm

I have a wylex 10 way split load consumer unit, with the sockets protected by a 80A 30mA rcd. If I wanted to up date the lighting circuit side, would it be possible to add another rcd ,which matches the other one or do I change each 6A mcb with a 6A RCBO. If I need to change to RCBO's which part number is the right one for my mcb's. The number on the mcb's is NSB06 6A.

ericmark

by ericmark » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:27 am

I note NSB06 is the number shown on the Wylex MCB in screwfix catalogue so screwfix 76390 would likely be the RCBO to replace it but a £39.99 that is a daft price. They show 63, 80, and 100 amp RCD’s at £32.99 first two and £49.99 for 100 amp. So yes it would make sense to convert the board but at the moment there seems to be a problem getting the items required due to heavy demand and you would need an extra two ways spare in the box to accommodate the extra RCD. I think we will see the prices drop one only has to look at the price of an RCD plug at £5.89 to realise they don’t need to be that price. And I would wait for a few months to see what the prices do. Also because a RCBO is longer than a MCB they will no physically fit in some of the older boxes although I would not think there will be a problem with a split load type and it seems it is common to find borrowed neutrals with lighting circuits due to faulty wiring of two way switches and this is causing electricians problems in modifying consumer units to comply with the new 17th Edition and I would not consider it is really a DIY job. Should Sparx answer he may be able to point you to exactly what kits are available I think you can get a buss bar kit to modify to duel RCD but as I say you will need two spare ways and some inspecting and testing skills. Technically this may not be Part P as your not changing whole box but in real terms your doing much the same work and you should be testing as if you had changed whole box to ensure you have not made any mistakes.
All best Eric
P.S. do let us all know how you get on I think there will be many wanting to do the same but as electricians what seems easy to us can be a night mare to the DIY man.

speedygonzarlis
Tradesman
Tradesman

by speedygonzarlis » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:06 pm

at the moment there are some good bargains on screwfix: http://www.awin1.com/awclick.php?mid=1228&id=61071, ive just bought a 10way wylex consumer unit, with 80a rcd, added an extra 63a rcd and a split load wiring kit for a lot less than there 17th edition consumer unit!
obviously loose 2 ways due to extra rcd, but its a not a problem for the bungalow job i'm on, still have a blank for any future work,
also 12 gang boxes, just way up the pro's and con's first!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:24 am