updating a consumer unit
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mirfield lad
Labourer
Labourer

updating a consumer unit

Post by mirfield lad » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:15 pm

Hi
I have a house which as been rewired (before I bought it) & the consumer unit has mcb's fitted. There is no earth supplied by the supply company and the earth is by the way of a spike into the ground.

I am selling the house and the purchaser as had a electrical check done and came back to say, this is not to the current standards, and needs rcds fitting.

So do the rcds need to replace all of the mcb's or can one be fitted inplace of the main switch. They said it would have to be a new consumer unit. Any help would be appreciated. Mirfield Lad.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:55 pm

Hi, I am suprised to hear after a rewire that with a TT system (spike/rod)that there is no main RCD fitted as this has been a requirement for many years.
Either a 30mA in the 'tails' or in place of the main sw.
Or a 100mA type s time delayed one as above with individual RCBO,s for each power circuit, the dearest but best option if for yourself!
Regards SPARX

mirfield lad
Labourer
Labourer

Post by mirfield lad » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:11 pm

Sparx, thank you for all the information. I think I will go for the dearest option of 100mA type s & the indiviual RCBO's for each circuit.

Many thanks again.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:28 pm