Upper Chimney Breast Damp Issues Despite Many Fix Attempts
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Martin B
Labourer
Labourer

Upper Chimney Breast Damp Issues Despite Many Fix Attempts

by Martin B » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:50 am

Hi Guys,

I'm at the end of my patience with my house at the moment, we moved in 18 months ago and it's had some serious hidden gems most of which we've fixed.

The house is a 1920'S detached property with chimney breast at both sides. The side open to the elements is the one that we have tried to fix plenty of times.

We've had a brand new roof, guttering, chimney swept and work done to seal holes on the upper section of the chimney. However, we are still getting damp coming through on the chimney breast wall in patches. The main issue is at the top where the bedroom wall meets the ceiling, this morning it was actually dropping and you could see the moisture. I've gone up into the loft and there is nothing coming from the roof and no damp running down the timber.

It's not possible to see the wall off the chimney breast from the lost as the roof runs right down to the top brick.

My next step is to have Thermocrete used to fill the chimney and seal any internal cracks and holes, we would then be able to use the fireplace with coal/wood as it hasn't been used in a number of years. We have had a quote of £1500 to thermocrete the whole flue, remove the old gas fireplace so that we can just put a fire grate in.

I'm just looking for any advice on wether this would be the next best step?

Should I remove the plaster on that side of the wall and have the work re-done possible placing a membrane on the wall before hand, or is it worth leaving and waiting to see if the flue work would help.

Any advice would be extremely helpful

Unfortunately the page refreshes if I try and add images.

michaelscad
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: Upper Chimney Breast Damp Issues Despite Many Fix Attempts

by michaelscad » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:25 pm

i've,done much work in older houses
a big mistake many have done
is,to block up the chimney
this causes damp if..your planning
to put in an open fire then it'll go
if not knock out a brick put in a vent
your stackshould be able to breath