Upstairs ceiling joists

Postby mwilson75 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:26 am

Could anyone tell me the correct size and type of timber that I should use to build the framework for a new ceiling upstairs in a terraced house. I plan to board on top of it for storage purposes.
Ta very much
Progress to next rank:

Simply Build It

Postby sean tarras » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:40 am

hi, am wondering
if u could help am away to floor out my loft for some storage space and i was wondering about the aframes that support the roof if they can be moved in any way.
sean tarras
Progress to next rank:

Postby blues brothers » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:56 am

Sean Tarras-- You can remove A frames, but you must first get the
advice of a structural engineer. He should advise you on the replacement
supports and there new positions ,thickness of the required timber etc. He will also inform you about the correct fixing,ie bolts , plates etc. And all this will have to be fitted into place before you remove the A frames
in question.
Hope this is of some help. Regards Blues brothers.
blues brothers
Progress to next rank:

Postby TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:54 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!