Upstairs lights not working!

Postby eazyone » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:54 am

I am working on the upstairs lighting in my newly bought but very old house. The ground lights all work and I somehow managed to get all the upstairs lights working. But once I had put the lid on the ceiling rose (which was a very tight fit) for one of the light a bang was heard and all the lights went off. I checked the fuse, but that’s fine.

The thing is as I mentioned earlier the house is very old and it has an old power box switch which controls only the lighting instead of a conventional consumer unit. A wire comes out the power box and then splits into 2 separate cables, one for the ground floor and the other for upstairs.

I have tried everything but the lights are not working. The fuse had not been blown and the connections are all correct. What can be the problem?

Please help!
Progress to next rank:

Simply Build It

Postby sparx » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:51 pm

the most likely thing is when you screwed cover on rose it pressed incoming live against earth term and blew the wire apart! look for black mark in rose...

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!