upstand wooden
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
wonderwoman
Labourer
Labourer

upstand wooden

by wonderwoman » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:40 pm

I'm getting a wooden worktop fitted with my kitchen and it has been suggested on this website that an upstand should be fitted, as this allows for shrinkage. I believe the upstand is fitted to the wall. Can anyone tell me what happens where the upstand meets the worktop. Is this filled, sealed or just left. If it's left, is this not a problem if water gets in between. Any help would be great.

thanks
:?

Oddbod
Ganger
Ganger

by Oddbod » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:03 pm

Hi. This is probably one of these cases where the kitchen fitters and cabinet makers get into a squabble!

Being the latter I would tend to fix the back and allow the movement to take place at the front. That means that the back is firmly fixed and front of the worktop is screwed down in such a way that it can slightly move in and out as the worktop expands and contracts. It is dead easy to do, and many metal fixing brackets have elongated holes for exactly this purpose. That way you can tile down (or whatever) at the back and not worry too much about movement.

(The problem many people find with wood is that it is (or was) a living material, and it moves! If you know what your're doing then it isn't too hard to accommodate it. If you treat it like a modern material it'll fight back)

LEO292
Apprentice
Apprentice

by LEO292 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:12 am

Wooden upstands are usually made from MDF with a laminet surface. The upstand sits on the worktop.There gripfilled to the wall and a clear silicone sealent used to seal the upstand to the worktop. Ive fitted several of these recently. It seems to be a fashion thing! Tiles are going out and laminets are all the rage. Also, have you thought of using just a scoia bead(20mmx20mm) instead of an upstand? Hope this helps. Leo.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:11 am