Post your questions and get answers concerning many areas of this subject

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
katybeth
Labourer
Labourer

upvc window locks

by katybeth » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:09 pm

Hi I hope someone can help!
We have just moved into a house with old UPVC windows that all have cockspur window handles. They don't lock and we wanted to replace them with ones that do. I had been told that all you do is flick off the tabs and underneath i will find screws that just need taking out and the new handle fitting. When i took off the cover i find that they have been riveted on, is there any way of removing these and then being able to fit the new locks ourself? If not does anyone know how much it would cost to have a professional out? the last guy charged 100 pounds just to change some plastic trim on the upvc window!!

kathryn :D

golfgirl
Labourer
Labourer

by golfgirl » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:41 pm

I've got a very similar problem. The handle sheared off... but the piece affixed to the window, well there are no obvious screws.

I just want to fit a replacement handle and window fitting.

Here is how it looks for me:

http://www.stormkrewsaders.com/handleheadache.jpg

It's really given me a headache and I've now, after a month of not getting anywhere with it, I've properly scuffed the outside of the frame by trying to get a chisel and screwsdriver behind it... and then a hacksaw.. without any success.

cjw118
Labourer
Labourer

upvc cockspur window handles

by cjw118 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:56 am

It is possible to buy replacement cockspur handles for upvc windows.

If the handles are screwed on then it is a case of just flicking off the 2 covers, removing the fixing screws, then re-fixing the new handles on.

As in your case they are riveted on. You need to drill the head of the rivets off to remove the old handle. Tap whats left of the rivets into the window then either re-rivet into the original holes or move the handle approx 5mm away from the original position and use screws into new plastic. The backplate of the handle should cover any old holes.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:18 pm