URGENT: Decking advice
Post your questions and find answers on all garden related topics and areas

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
seany
Labourer
Labourer

URGENT: Decking advice

by seany » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:49 am

I currently have the 'workmen' at my house installing decking. The end nearest the house has been screwed onto the house wall, then the deck extends out over a concrete base (this has just been supported with decking pieces as uprights - which I'm not too sure about)
But what worries me more, is at what should be the 'posted end' is just balancing on some concrete blocks, straight onto the garden - is this acceptable, or have i been scammed ?

biggles111
Apprentice
Apprentice

Decking ?

by biggles111 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:22 pm

sounds a bit dodgey! By decking pieces, do you meen deck boards ? stop the job if thats the case , tell the cowboys the cavalry is coming that should scare them away.
If you need official advice go to the web site for the Timber Decking Association. From your brief description your deck is not being constructed in a propper manner and the builder should be confronted with your concerns as soon as possible. Proper support is vital to prevent your deck from moving when under load.

dandude
Labourer
Labourer

defenatley sounds wrong...

by dandude » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:59 pm

Decking needs to be suported on a solid frame - I installed some decking for a friend last month(aprox 4 meters x 4 meters ) and we attached a 4 meter length of 2x4 to the house wall below the DPC (they had a step at the back door that we removed) and build a frame out of more 2x4 with joists every 40cm and nogins between the joists to prevent them moving.

i would defintley halt the work untill you can lear more about what they are doing.

2 things i learnt whilst building the deck.

1) the most inportant thing is the frame - a bad frame means a deck like a trampoline.

2) however many screws you think you need - double it

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:11 am