Use warm air from loft space?

Postby booshank » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:06 am

On sunny days the air in loft spaces tends to heat up even if the air outside is cold. I was thinking that all that heat goes to waste as it's insulated from the house by loft insulation.

While making some thermostatically controlled fans for an electronics project, the idea came to me of putting something similar into the loft to pump the warm air into the house on cold days.

Anyone have any ideas on this? Seems technically fairly simple, but maybe I've overlooked some reason why it wouldn't be a good idea...
booshank

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby stoneyboy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:45 pm

booshank,
Unfortunately lofts only get really hot on sunny days - days when the house underneath is warm anyway.
I guess you could try a heat recovery unit drawing warm air out of the loft and feeding it into the house but you are talking big money.
end
stoneyboy

Postby solarsecurity » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:05 pm

I have read forum posts about this before on other forums. Some people have suggested using piping which goes from the attic to the ground floor with a bathroom extractor fan attached at one end to direct the warm air to the ground floor. Pretty simple really!
solarsecurity

Sort by
Order by