Post your questions and get answers concerning many areas of this subject

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
longie
Labourer
Labourer

Using a Split Spindle in PVC Door Lock Issue

by longie » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:14 pm

Hi All,

Main door can be opened and closed from both sides, instead of just the inside, and requiring a key from the outside. I have taken the handles off and see there are two holes for the spindles.
- Top one (currently used) operates by pushing down the latch, pushing up the handle operates the multilock.
- bottom - only operates the multilock.

So can I use a split spindle to use both ? - top for internal, bottom for external.

If so, how does it work, as the screw to hold the handles currently goes through the bottom spindle hole.

Attached are some phones of the lock and the door handle.

How do I get this to work, do I need to buy a new handle ??

Any help would be fantastic. Also, can I put a sliding bolt on the top of the PVC door for added security whilst in the house ?

thanks
Attachments
Picture4a.jpg
Picture3a.jpg
lock2a.jpg
lock1b.jpg

thekeymurphy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Using a Split Spindle in PVC Door Lock Issue

by thekeymurphy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:54 am

Hi longie,

I just had the boys come down and do a similar job for me. Tend to think I know my way around a lock, but this was a confusing one. I'll do my best at explaining what they told me for this kind of mechanism.

So, judging from your pictures, it appears you have a dual spindle so you can't use a split spindle, unfortunately you'd have to buy a dual spindle handle set with top and bottom fixing centres to allow you to free up the second follower which currently has the bolt running through it.

Alternatively, you could try a keywind gearbox - they don't require lifting the handle in order to lock, are single spindle, and the key-turn action alone operates the multipoint mechanism.

With regard to the bolt on the UPVC door, I don't see any reason why you couldn't. Completely up to you!

If I've done a rubbish job of explaining! Hope you manage to sort it.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:16 pm