Using a terminal block in place of a ceiling rose fitting
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Ianain
Labourer
Labourer

Using a terminal block in place of a ceiling rose fitting

Post by Ianain » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:07 pm

I am replacing a hall way ceiling rose light fitting that has an on/off switch in the vestibule and another in the hall way. I am replacing this with a chandelier type fitting with a two-way terminal block. So I have from the ceiling three earth wires, three black wires and three red wires. I have twisted the black wires and connected them into the terminal block into one hole of the terminal block. I have twisted the red wires together and put them through one connector in the terminal block and I have done the same with the earth wires. From the light fitting side I have twisted the three brown wires together and inserted them opposite the red. From the light fitting I have twisted the three blue (N) and connected them opposite the black from the ceiling.
[b]Problem is the light switched on for a second before the fuse blew up, please help, what has gone wrong? [/b]

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Using a terminal block in place of a ceiling rose fittin

Post by BLAKEY1963 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:09 am

[quote="Ianain"]I am replacing a hall way ceiling rose light fitting that has an on/off switch in the vestibule and another in the hall way. I am replacing this with a chandelier type fitting with a two-way terminal block. So I have from the ceiling three earth wires, three black wires and three red wires. I have twisted the black wires and connected them into the terminal block into one hole of the terminal block. I have twisted the red wires together and put them through one connector in the terminal block and I have done the same with the earth wires. From the light fitting side I have twisted the three brown wires together and inserted them opposite the red. From the light fitting I have twisted the three blue (N) and connected them opposite the black from the ceiling.
[b]Problem is the light switched on for a second before the fuse blew up, please help, what has gone wrong? [/b][/quote]

IANAIN
HAVE A LOOK AT DOCS PROJECTS ON LIGHTING, U HAVE PICTURES TO REFER 2. ISOLATE MAIN SUPPLY , THEN
YOUR 3 REDS R PERMANENT LIVES AND GET TAPED IN A SEPARATE
BLOCK. TAKE OUT BROWN FROM LIGHT FITTING !!!!
TWO OF YOUR BLACKS R NEUTRAL AND YOUR BLUE WIRE FROM LIGHT
FITTING CONNECTS UP TO THEM.
THE MAIN ITEM FOR CONTROL OF THE LIGHT IS YOUR SWITCH WIRE.
IT IS A ONE OF THE REMAINING BLACK WIRES AND NORMALY IS TAGGED RED THIS IDENTIFYS IT AS A LIVE CONDUCTOR
YOUR BROWN FROM LIGHT FITTING GOES INTO BLOCK OF TAGGED
RED BLACK.
IF IT IS NOT TAGGED IT WAS CONNECTED ALONE INTO LIGHT FITTING
SWITCH LIVE BEFORE U DISMANTLED FITTING.
BLAKEY1963

Ianain
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Ianain » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:46 pm

Hi, thank you blakey. problem solved :D

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:08 am