Using an existing well
Post your questions and find answers on all garden related topics and areas

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Tonyphotoplus
Labourer
Labourer

Using an existing well

Post by Tonyphotoplus » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:54 pm

I have a well that used to be used for the house. I have a bore hole that supplies out water now which is much better. It now stays stagnant and I want to put it to good use for watering the garden. Its a cylindrical well with a manhole on top. There is a hole on the top of the concrete about 5" in diameter (I would have to check that out later) I can use to lower something down. The kitchen garden is further up but a pipe from this point is fine. Its not too far from a power point.

How can I get water to be used from this well? What equipment can I get that will be able to turn off and on when using the hose pipe? This is water that is just sitting there and I want to be able to use it for the summer when we get the amount of sun we have had.

Any ideas please?

Tony

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:15 pm

Tonyphotoplus,
Use a submersible sump pump.
end

Tonyphotoplus
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Tonyphotoplus » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:06 pm

stoneyboy wrote:Tonyphotoplus,
Use a submersible sump pump.
end

Not sure how they work? Do they allow you to connect a hose pipe? Do I need a connection point/tap? Sorry I am a complete newbie on this area and have no idea on what why and when.

Thanks

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:54 pm

Tonyphotoplus,
The sump pump has an electric cable and you will need to attach a hose.
Drop the pump into the well, turn on and water will squirt out of the hose.
You don't say how deep the well is so make sure you get a pump with sufficient head.
end

Tonyphotoplus
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Tonyphotoplus » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:33 am

I have had a look and it looks like an expensive option. I may have to try a submersible dirty water pump. Not sure if that would do the trick as I would only need it twice a week to water the plants for a few months. And, that is only if we get the kind of weather we are getting now. So I am looking for a cheap method. The well is aprox 6-7 foot deep 4ft wide. If I could lower a temp system down it would be great and resolve the problem. But I am not sure (having had nothing to do with these machines) if they can be lowered to that depth. I see them in tool station and screwfix but I cannot assess if that is the right way to go. The sump method is permanent and a lot of money for what it is suppose to do. Having very little money I have to take the cheapest way. I also have no idea on the pressure these machines create? Would they be capable of giving a good 2lb pressure?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:36 pm

Tonyphotoplus,
The dirty water submersible pump is the type I was suggesting just didn't get the term right.
You will need to get hold of a flow vs head chart for the pump you select, read along the 2m line and it will tell you what pressure and flow you will get.
end

Tonyphotoplus
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Tonyphotoplus » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:10 am

Thank you for your help

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:47 am