Vanity Unit Splashback Tiling
Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Mike P.
Apprentice
Apprentice

Vanity Unit Splashback Tiling

by Mike P. » Mon May 28, 2007 5:00 pm

I’m installing a purpose-built vanity unit at one end of a rectangular cloakroom. It is a good fit at the end of that room, but cannot be installed perfectly equidistant from each side wall because of a mains water pipe at skirting board level running the length of the room on the left hand side. As a result, once the basin is fitted and the splash back surround tiling completed, the gap between the wall tiles and the top of the basin on the left-hand side will still be about ½ inch. This can hardly be filled with suitable silicone sealant as it would be too evident/unsightly.

I’ve considered screwing waterproof plywood to the emulsioned wall on the left hand side before priming and tiling, but believe the dissimilarity between the two sides would be noticeable and do not know how to finish the front vertical and top horizontal edges of the plywood.

Any helpful comments or alternative suggestions will be appreciated.

Mike P.
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Mike P. » Tue May 29, 2007 4:17 pm

I've now purchased some 12mm quadrant UPVC with which I intend filling the gap. I'll stick it with something like EVO-STIK Serious Stuff before sealing.

Any views?

Mike P.
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Mike P. » Tue May 29, 2007 4:31 pm

Had my mind changed about Serious Stuff - would probably damage unit if ever needed to remove. Will stick with silicone sealant.

Mike P.
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Mike P. » Tue May 29, 2007 4:42 pm

Well, maybe not the unit, as it would be adhered to the basin. May however pull tiles off the wall!!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:43 am