Variable flow from power shower
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mikestone
Labourer
Labourer

Variable flow from power shower

by mikestone » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:26 pm

This is one of those infernal intermittent problems! I have a twin impeller pump taking water from hot and cold water tanks to supply the shower. More often than not, this works fine and I get a good powerful shower. Ocassionally, however, it is not so good. By this I mean that the water temperature is fine but the amount of water coming through is much less than normal and sometimes it 'pulses'. If I turn the shower off, then restart it about 30 seconds later, it often (but not always!) resolves the problem. The problem seems to occur more often when it is very cold weather.

I am wondering if this problem is due to not having a Surrey or York flange fitted to the hot water tank - when my plumber friend (!) fitted the pump, he did not fit one.

Could anyone comment please?

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:18 pm

The absence of a Surrey flange will only cause one fault - air being drawn in to the system. This would have been apparent from day one so is not likely to be your problem.

It might be worth checking any in-line filters fitted to either the pump or shower. Sometimes the debris moves about causing intermittent blockages.

mikestone
Labourer
Labourer

by mikestone » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:17 pm

Thanks Plumbbob. I supposed I was wondering if there was more likelihood of air being drawn in during very cold weather? But I will certainly check any filters asap.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:53 pm

I can't see the cold weather would make any difference to the flow of water unless the system was frozen and that would show as other problems elsewhere.

jim the plumb
Tradesman
Tradesman

by jim the plumb » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:51 pm

Why don't you ask your plumber friend (!).

Or did you fit it (!).

jimbo

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:33 am