Varnish or Staining Wooden Desk to Repair Burn Mark
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jamestomdoug
Labourer
Labourer

Varnish or Staining Wooden Desk to Repair Burn Mark

by Jamestomdoug » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:49 pm

Hi, I managed to burn a mark into my desk at uni (which will make me lose some of my deposit) I've sanded away the charred area with 320 grit sandpaper which I haven't fully finished yet. I'm now faced with the dilema of whether I will have to stain the wood or just varnish it with a clear varnish, when oil is applied to the now bare wood it darkens and i assume this will happen when i varnish it however this doesn't make the wood dark enough so I'm thinking it will need a stain however I'm not sure what stain it would need, I'm going to try to include a picture of the not oiled bare wood for reference, any sort of help is appreciated
Attachments
IMG_5399.JPG

KingstonCabinets
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Varnish or Staining Wooden Desk to Repair Burn Mark

by KingstonCabinets » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:55 pm

Hi James, I hope you managed to source a solution for the wood stain. If not I would probably suggest painting over the burn.. find a near enough identical colour to the desk and paint over it. Here are a few expert tips on how to go about covering up the stain http://kingstoncabinets.com/expert-tips ... furniture/

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:32 am