Velux windows in cottage
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
cheet22
Labourer
Labourer

Velux windows in cottage

Post by cheet22 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:39 am

Hi,

We're in the process of modernizing a single storey cottage/bungalow, and feel we need to get more light into two of the rooms (one has no windows at all).

To do this, we would like to add 2 velux windows into each room, in the pitched roof above. I have taken down the ceilings and I now have exposed ceiling joists.

I am debating whether to get someone in the fit these (any ideas of costs appreciated) - mainly as what I think I need done is to 'box off' some of the ceiling joists to give me a square opening that is wider at the bottom, narrowing up to the window itself.

I guess this means cutting some of the ceiling joists, squaring them off, and adding some uprights to the roof rafters? This way when I replace the ceiling, I'll have one large or two smaller openings leading up to the windows.

Has anyone done this sort of thing, or can recommend an approach? We are just outside Glasgow, UK.

Thx!

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:48 pm