All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
lydielj
Labourer
Labourer

vented or unvented cylinder

Post by lydielj » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:57 pm

Hello,
I justed moved to a flat. The shower was very poor with a pump shower, and noisy. The tank looks very old. I want to change them and get a good shower (more flow/pressure). The old one is vented cylinder. People tell me to change the Megaflow unvented cylinder (125L). One guy mesure the main cold water pressure, it's only 1.2 bar, he think it's not enough for unvented cylinder working. But another guy told me 1bar of pressure is enough for megaflow. Can I change to unvented cylinder? any one in the market can work at 1 bar pressure?
If can't work at this pressure, it mean I have to use vented cylinder + pump? Ohter solution? One guy told me about silent pump, any one use it? it's really silent?
My flat is 1 bedroom flat on the second floor of an old building. I jsut want to have good shower. Welcome for any idea.
thanks.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: vented or unvented cylinder

Post by plumbbob » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:22 pm

lydielj wrote: But another guy told me 1bar of pressure is enough for megaflow.

It may or may not be sufficient for a Megaflow but either way, it will be insufficient for a good shower.

Far better to fit a decent pump from stored water and the installation will be a lot cheaper too.

Mind you, it is a bit difficult to offer advice as you haven't said how the existing water is heated!

lydielj
Labourer
Labourer

Post by lydielj » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:48 pm

Mind you, it is a bit difficult to offer advice as you haven't said how the existing water is heated![/quote]

Thx for your reply. Now the water is heated by a vented cylinder. I just asked a neighbour. He use a vented cylinder and an electric shower, very good performance. Maybe I can do it in the same way?

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:49 pm

lydielj wrote:Thx for your reply. Now the water is heated by a vented cylinder.

What I meant is by immersion (electricity), gas boiler, economy 7, etc etc.

An electric shower is possibly the cheapest installation, but you must be aware that new electrical regulations may may dictate an upgrade of consumer unit which may be expensive.

However, electric showers, even the 10kw variety probably give the least effective showering! Pumped or mains fed mixer showers will always out perform electric showers for water flow.

lydielj
Labourer
Labourer

Post by lydielj » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:05 am

Thx very much.
It's electric immersion heater.
I'm thinking about the electric shower, 10kw, so it should consume lot of electricity. finally, it maybe not really cheap.[/quote]

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:48 am