Ventilation to Room with fixed windows
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
midgeee69
Labourer
Labourer

Ventilation to Room with fixed windows

Post by midgeee69 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:20 pm

I'm looking for clarification on the term "inner room" and how this may affect my project to turn a large open plan kitchen/lounge into separate rooms.

I live in a 3rd floor flat which forms part of a converted church.
There is one entrance to the room currently, and you enter into the main "lounge" area, with the kitchen positioned in an L-shaped corner.
I'm looking to put a partition wall with door between the kitchen and lounge. There are windows in the kitchen, and extractor fan for hob, so this will meet requirements. However, the lounge does not have any windows which open. There are large windows which take up most of one wall, however they are fixed arch style windows and a feature of the church rather than a practicality.

I believe this will meet the fire safety regulations as there are 2 doors to the room, one primary exit to the lobby as present, and the new secondary exit to kitchen where there are escape windows.

However, what is the requirement for ventilation of the room?
I've searched the Scottish building reg's but its a bit vague. Would I need to install a ventilation duct to external wall? Or even just through to the kitchen? I can't modify the windows as it would really spoil the look of them.

Secondly, if I do not put a door on the partition wall, does it remain classified as a single room? I.e. leave a decorative arch which isn't wooden framed like a door would be.

Anyone able to clarify the situation?

Thanks!

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1