Ventillating a bathroom in the loft
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Craig114
Labourer
Labourer

Ventillating a bathroom in the loft

by Craig114 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:51 pm

Hi all,

I have a three storey victorian house, the third floor being in the attic. I have a bedroom and bathroom on the top floor.

Our bathroom does not have any ventillation, other than a Velux type 'Colt Roto' roof window. Obviously in the cold months, no one wants to or is prepared to open this window. As a result, wall paper is becomming unstuck etc.

About six or so yrs ago, the house had a new roof fitted, fibre cement / slate type tyles. Insulated to meet the current, (at the time building regs). Ventillators were fitted, which bear the name 'Dovetail', obviously the bathrom should have been ventillated at the sametime also, however was missed out).

I do not have any access to any outside walls as the room is in the roof space and also the house is a terraced property, and just to add to the 'hassle factor' the roof area is about 30 - 35 feet from the ground.

My qestion is - (I type this with crossed fingers), is, is one of these 'Dovetail' ventillators suitable for use as a ventillation outlet point for my bathroom?

We are planning to revamp the bathroom and there will be one of these roof ventilators about 2 to 2.5 foot from the bathroom, so I'm hoping to be able to expose one and with the aid of flexible hose and a extractor fan vent my bathroom.

What do the experts think?

I can supply photo's, measurements and further details as required to make things clearer if required?

I look forward to any advice.

Kind regards

Craig

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:54 am

Craig114,
The dovetail roof vents are fine for connecting an extraction system, if they are the right model you should be able to buy a purpose made adaptor (dovetail) which will allow direct connection to an extractor. I would recommend that you fit an additional roof vent to replace the one you will be effectively sealing off.
end

Craig114
Labourer
Labourer

Bathroom ventillation

by Craig114 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:16 pm

[quote="stoneyboy"]Craig114,
The dovetail roof vents are fine for connecting an extraction system, if they are the right model you should be able to buy a purpose made adaptor (dovetail) which will allow direct connection to an extractor. I would recommend that you fit an additional roof vent to replace the one you will be effectively sealing off.
end[/quote]

Does anyone know who I should contact regarding a purpose made adaptor for the 'dovetail' roof vent? I've tried Googling Dovetail without result, there might be different types of 'Dovetail' vents?. Also, I think that there are probably enough roof vents fitted now, to loose this one to ventillate my bathroom? Does anyone know about the amount required - as possibly laid down in any building reg's?

Thanks for the help to date all - especially 'stoneboy'.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:43 am

Craig114,
I used to get these from my local roofing supplier but last time they had changed suppliers. If you have no success finding Dovetail let me know and I'll make enquiries.
BR requirements are 10mm gap (or equivalent) along opposite sides for roofs above 15deg or 5mm gap for roofs below 15deg. You will have to try to guess whether your vents are the equivalent of this.
end

Craig114
Labourer
Labourer

Dovetail Roof Vents

by Craig114 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:33 pm

[quote="stoneyboy"]Craig114,
I used to get these from my local roofing supplier but last time they had changed suppliers. If you have no success finding Dovetail let me know and I'll make enquiries.
BR requirements are 10mm gap (or equivalent) along opposite sides for roofs above 15deg or 5mm gap for roofs below 15deg. You will have to try to guess whether your vents are the equivalent of this.
end[/quote]

Stoneboy,

If it is possble, I'd be really grateful if you could enquire, local builders merchants can't help me. I need to find out what model vent I have fitted and if it' possible to purchase a connecting kit.

Thanks again

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:43 pm

Craig114,
My local roofing supplies firm recon dovetail roof vents are still available but I think the design has changed. The vents are about £26 and the connecting kit is £17. I guess you need to find the right local company.
end.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:12 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 pm