All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
anil-s
Labourer
Labourer

VERY low pressure in shower

by anil-s » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:55 pm

HI,

the shower worked fine since the day it was fitted four years ago. a few weeks ago, the pressure dropped dramatically and has been the same since.

i thought it may have been a problem with the thermostat mixer so i bought a new mixer from the local DIY store and after fitting it in it didn't help at all.

the pressure is exactly the same. the shower uses an old boiler system with the water tank about 2 metres above the shower head with a pump inbetween to give more pressure.

Now im thinkin it may have been the pump thats gone kaput! How will i be able to check whether it is the pump that is (or isn't) the issue behind the lack of pressure.

cheers, if you need any more information please ask.

A.S

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:40 pm

I think the thing to go for here first is to examine any filters installed in the pipework and fittings. Often if the pressure suddenly drops it is because debris has collected in the filters and stopped the flow. Switch the shower from full hot to full cold. Is there a difference in flow rates between the two? Does the pump fail to kick in on either? If so suspect filters.

Shower pumps are pretty simple devices, and if the motor is running you can be pretty sure it is pumping so look elsewhere for a fault first.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:03 am