very rough, unleveled walls. Render or board ?
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
armytouch
Ganger
Ganger

very rough, unleveled walls. Render or board ?

by armytouch » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:23 am

Hi all,
firstly like to thankyou for any advise you can give me.
i recently had a burst pipe upstairs which brought the ceiling down,it also went behind all the cladding in the kitchen which had to be all removed leaving bare brickwork. However the brickwork is very uneven and no where near level think it was an extension built well before we moved into the property,we are also having a new condensing boiler fitted onto one of the walls after the work done so needs to beable to support the boiler,we will be tiling some of the walls also,i have had to plasterers in to take a look.
1st plasterer suggested that it be plasterboarded and then skimmed over,saying this would level the walls out however did say it would reduce the room side slightly.
2nd plasterer suggested that the walls be bonded over to level them out before skimming,he said this would give the walls more strength for the boiler to be fitted ot the wall.
which solution do you feel fits my walls and conditions for tiling and boiler fitments.
which sealants would be best used to apply to the bare brickwall to block damp?
thanks again

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:29 pm

Hi armytouch,
either options wll be okay, but i'd side will the second.
Do you have a damp problem?
If so this needs to be addressed first, if it's cavity wall DPC and pointing or render do the trick.
If single skin a little more complicated.
KB

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:49 pm

Case of 6 and 2 3s.

Board and skim will be quicker and ready for further work sooner - 24 hours or so. Bond and skim will take between 4 and 6 weeks to dry out properly.

1st plasterer - hes right but in truth he's talkng about millimetres not inches.

2nd plasterer doesn't understand that the securing brackets for the boiler need to be bolted through into the brickwork. It matters not whats covering the brickwork.

Which is cheaper, which one can do it sooner?

What makes you think you have a damp problem.

Cheers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:30 am