Victorian Conservatory on Dwarf Wall and Base Quesion and DIY Supplier Adivce
Conservatories are a great all-round addition to any home. Find help, advice and information on all aspects of this area.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
LSpringett
Labourer
Labourer

Victorian Conservatory on Dwarf Wall and Base Quesion and DIY Supplier Adivce

Post by LSpringett » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:26 pm

This is my first post, had a look around but can't find anything that relates directly to this.

Anyway, we are in the planning phase of a new 4x4 Victoria conservatory on Dwarf Wall. In relation to the base, we want the finish level to match that of the internal floor that you walk in from (about 250mm from ground level). Someone has suggested therefore that for the base, on top of the soil, we could go sand, dpm, sand, insulation, suspended timer, boarding.

We had a garage converted to a kitchen a few years back and this i exactly what they did but obviously the garage floor was solid unlike the grass/soil the conservatory would be built on.

So just asking, is this an option or must I go for a cement/screed base?

Also, is this the right place the ask about people view on specific online DiY supplier? Looking for some advice on quotes and quality.

Thanks

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Victorian Conservatory on Dwarf Wall and Base Quesion and DIY Supplier Adivce

Post by welsh brickie » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:10 pm

if its 250mm from ground level to finish floor height, then a suspended timber floor is not the best way to go, As the clearance under the floor is minimal.
You need to lay a well compacted crushed stone base, 50mm thick kingspan insulation, DPM, then minimum 100mm concrete, then lay a screed level with the internal floor

LSpringett
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Victorian Conservatory on Dwarf Wall and Base Quesion and DIY Supplier Adivce

Post by LSpringett » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:00 pm

Thanks Welsh Brickie, we have taken your advice and have now move forward with planning a full secure cement base like you have suggestion.

I do have a follow up question I hope you or maybe someone else could answer.

For the Dwarf wall I really don't want thick internal seals so was planning a cement block with timber/insulation then plasterboard/plastered wall.

Again, is this a feasible solution for a conservatory as it has been done this way in the rest of the house, but my concern is that the cement based will run to the external brick with the timber then sitting on it so not sure about possible damp issues.

Thanks again

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:32 am