Views/opinions on CAPITA
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

13 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Views/opinions on CAPITA

by htg engineer » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:39 pm

Why change a name and logo that everyone associates with Gas Safety - CORGI registered gas installers.

In my opinion all it is going to do it confuse people, what RGI's be called now 'CAPITA registered gas installer' I haven't seen much publicity about the takeover. So if people don't know - they'll ask are you CORGI registered ?? as soon as you say No...but - element of doubt on the customers part - loss of earnings for us ???

Hopefully there'll be a major publicity drive before April 1st to make sure as many people as possible know about the changes.

Why can't they have both - CORGI and CAPITA - some competition and get the registration prices down - giving people a choice who they can register with.

htg

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:27 am

Htg,

Yes they are supposed to be doing an advert run to re-educate Joe Public before April 1,

Seems HSE only want 1 body to shout at!!

We'll see , but I reckon it gives the illegals a foot in the door in the interim confusion that's bound to arise out of all this.

Steve

tsb
Tradesman
Tradesman

by tsb » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:15 pm

Totally agree with both points of view. I've always thought a couple of registration bodies was a good idea, not a monopoly. It seems to work for electricians.
Was just wondering if any of you was considering renewing your membership of Corgi, in April?

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:27 am

I'm not

AdamsHeating
Ganger
Ganger

by AdamsHeating » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:42 pm

The one thing that really annoys me is the following:

Council of Registered Gas Installers - CORGI

CAPITA...

The CORGI brand I believe over the last 20 years has left an indellible mark on the public, I understand why the HSE don't want the current CORGI admin team to run it but surely they could have kept the logo and allowed CAPITA to change the structure and policies?

For starters the CORGI shield superficially looks better than the new gas scheme, secondly, all the changes to van signage, stationary, work gear, and that is going to be a pain in the... wallet!

Are any of you guys going to stay with CORGI voluntarily?

AH.

AdamsHeating
Ganger
Ganger

by AdamsHeating » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:44 pm

Will it be any use registering with corgi? Are capita offering a technical services, copies of the gas installer or will it be totally different. I have a letter somewhere about all this but I just laughed at the new logo and threw it on the pile.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:44 pm

Me neither - only pay for what I HAVE to.

htg

DEEARR2
Ganger
Ganger

by DEEARR2 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:18 pm

Whether you like it or not the SGR is here to stay and it is my opinion that Corgi should now bow out and leave the scene completely. Any confusion and possible abuse would be compounded by CORGI remaining in the back ground. We did not need two entities before so why now.
Like most other installers I will be sorry to see CORGI go as I have had a long, close relationship with it since its inception all these years ago. I also have to admitt that I wore the logo with a certain amount of pride. However, I do agree that it will take the piblic a long while to except the new brand and develop the confidence that CORGI carried, no matter how well it is publicised it will be a slow transistion.
Although not always perfect CORGI was there for us all and I for one would thank them for their help and guidance over the years and wish SGR success in their term ahead.

CMairiD
Labourer
Labourer

by CMairiD » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:35 pm

[quote="AdamsHeating"]The CORGI brand I believe over the last 20 years has left an indellible mark on the public, I understand why the HSE don't want the current CORGI admin team to run it but surely they could have kept the logo and allowed CAPITA to change the structure and policies?[/quote]

Ah, but see, the HSE had no foresight way back when. The CORGI logo is trademarked to CORGI and not the HSE. So rightly, when CORGI go they take their property with them.

The new logo however belongs to the HSE. If Capita is removed, the brand stays with whomever next administers the scheme.

The second HSE screw up? They have left it way too late to raise awareness about the new scheme and its logo. All the published bumf indicates that logo was to be introduced to installers in January 09 and to the 'public' in March 09. How is one month going to undo the many years of CORGI brand awareness? Unless Capita do heavy national ads on telly and major national newspapers throughout March, I can't see how they can expect the public to understand the change from CORGI to GSR.

That, to me at least, has left a foot in for CORGI -- for the first couple of years, until the GSR brand becomes recognisable. Being CORGI registered may actually benefit RGIs who have to deal with the confused public about which card or logo they should expect. Let's face it: who wants to spend time explaining the change in registration schemes to a confused pensioner who only wants their boiler repaired?

Whilst not an RGI, I am someone that works in the gas industry and will have to deal the fall-out from the short-sightedness of the HSE, and I can tell you ... I'm not best pleased. I can't imagine what you RGIs are going to have to deal with.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:26 am

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

norwich-plumber
Apprentice
Apprentice

by norwich-plumber » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:18 pm

what a cock up just got my new pack today for the gas safety register if you have to change it make them use the corgi logo also they have to get 70% of the man in the street to remember there name within a year its not going to happen

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:10 pm

Well only 7 or so weeks to go and I haven't seen any advertisement on TV, Newspapers, magazines etc, to let the public know about the changeover.

Where's this publicity drive they said they'd have to ensure the smooth transfer and public awareness.

I totally agree with norwich-plumber - it's a cock-up, the CORGI name and logo should stay - everyone knows what it is.

htg

AdamsHeating
Ganger
Ganger

by AdamsHeating » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:27 pm

Had my annual corgi inspection on Friday. Banter with the inspector and he was very Biased with his views regarding the CAPITA/CORGI thing. He was explaining how corgi are keeping the brand and sticking with it regardless of what effect it may have on the new GSR... he was actively promoting the fact that I should sign up for CORGI in April as well as to the GSR.

To be honest, I think I'm going to sign up just for the corgi logo on my van and the gas installer, surely the GI is worth £110 alone? I myself cannot shake off CORGI's attachment to gas safety so why am I convincing myself that my customers will be able to? Of course I will join the GSR like all good legitimate gasmen. As long as I am covered by the GSR, what does it matter if I answer yes to the question after 1st april "are you corgi registered?"

13 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:29 pm